Dunedin Public Libraries opened its doors in 1908 and today is the heart of the community, offering free Wi-Fi, broadband internet, fantastic reads, great music, original artworks and much more.
Libraries can be found in the City, Mosgiel, Port Chalmers, Blueskin Bay and Waikouaiti; along with two book buses that visit a wide variety of areas throughout Dunedin.
Dunedin’s oldest literary establishment grew out of the Mechanics’ Institute, originally established in Dunedin in 1851; becoming known as the Dunedin Athenaeum and Mechanics’ Institute from 1859. It’s original purpose – enshrined in a parliamentary ordinance – was the provision of access for working class people to literacy and education. Now, it operates largely as a private lending library, as well as presenting poetry readings, book launches, literary lectures and celebrations.
Read more at www.dunedinathenaeum.org.nz
The Hewitson Library, located in the Hewitson wing on the Campus of the historic Knox College Dunedin, has one of New Zealand's largest theological collections of print material in religions and theological subjects
Open since 1910, the Hocken has grown into a national research hub. Its collections of archives, publications, maps, pictures and photographs focus on the history, cultures and natural environment of Aotearoa New Zealand, the Pacific and Antarctica with special emphasis on southern New Zealand. The art collection, one of the largest in the country, contains historical and contemporary works.
The University of Otago, College of Education, Robertson Library, also serves the Otago Polytechnic students and staff.
The University of Otago, Central Library, gutted, rebuilt, and extensively enlarged at the turn of the 21st century, the building now known as the ISB, continues to be quite a sensation.