Enterprise Dunedin’s business development advisors will listen to your ideas and help you realise your business dream. Our advisors provide expert and impartial advice, and can connect you to relevant networks and agencies.
Tertiary students wanting to start a business or already working on a business idea could consider Audacious. The programme provides tools and networks to develop entrepreneurial skills and establish a business.
Enterprise Dunedin offers free business clinics on Tuesday evenings at the Dunedin Public Library, where you can meet with one of our advisors for a confidential half-hour session.
The New Zealand government has a business website that will point you in the right direction for resources, tools and information to help you launch your business.
Startup Dunedin is a charitable (not for profit) trust with a mandate to facilitate and co-ordinate the growth of the startup ecosystem in Dunedin. One of Startup Dunedin’s major projects is a co-working space called the Distiller situated in the Leith Bank building on the University of Otago campus.
The Distiller has a number of desks and offices available for early stage businesses that are unable to fund their own space and who would benefit from a professional work environment. It is an increasingly important community for budding entrepreneurs, offering support and guidance, and helping build confidence, skills and networks. The space is also a feeder for other co-workspaces (also considered startup) in the city.
Startup Weekend Dunedin brings together developers, designers, marketers, product managers, startup enthusiasts and random go-getters to share ideas, build products and launch startups.
Dunedin startup and small business owners are invited to join the internationally proven Co.Starters program to help them create a sustainable, thriving business.
Led by a facilitator, up to 10 entrepreneurs meet for three hours one evening a week with guest speakers and a focus on a different aspect of management. After nine weeks of Co.Starters small business owners will know how to create a sustainable business and be connected to a supportive community of peers, mentors and business services
Read more at www.startupdunedin.nz/costarter
Providing a space do business in Dunedin, offering flexibility with private desks and offices in an inspiration hub within a professional and comfortable environment. Welcoming start-ups, small businesses, innovators and entrepreneurs to be a member of an affordable and vibrant community. Making connections to support, grow and succeed together. Co-working members have easy access to Gigabit UFB and the ability to move large amounts of data with state of the art technology.
Innov8HQ is a business hub and collaborative workspace, providing a supermarket of resources to house, connect and support businesses through start up, growth and sustainability in the Digital Age.
Otago Angels Limited is a private network of 80 individuals formed in 2006 to invest in and support companies in the early stages of growth. More recently, members of the network have set up the OPAL fund, which seeks to encourage and support startup businesses with aspirations to become high-growth.
Crowd funding has proven to be a viable way to raise money to start up a new business; some sites recommended by our business advisors are:
- Boosted. Boosted is here to help all New Zealand artists and organisations.
- Crowdcube. Crowdcube enables anyone to invest alongside professional investors in start-up, early stage and growth businesses through equity, debt and investment fund options.
- Equitise. Bringing investors and business owners together, the Equitise crowdfunding platform simplifies the investment marketplace.
- Experiment. Experiment lets scientists raise funding for research by inviting backers into the science.
- Indiegogo. Indiegogo is a global crowdfunding platform empowering people around the world to fund projects that matter to them.
- Kickstarter. Kickstarter is the world’s largest funding platform for creative projects.
- Lift Off. Liftoff is an upcoming investment and crowd-funding platform for New Zealand.
- My Angel Investment. My Angel Investment provides equity crowdfunding services to companies that want to offer shares without supplying a product disclosure statement.
- PledgeMe. PledgeMe is the only combined equity and project crowdfunding platform in New Zealand.
- Snowball Effect. Snowball Effect helps Kiwi companies raise funds from everyday Kiwi investors.
For further information, contact: