Due to weather conditions we advise you to check road conditions and other alerts regularly especially if you have travelled to Dunedin by road. See the DCC website for up to date information.
Events around the city
Dunedin is laying on the entertainment over the Elton John concert weekend with a programme of events around the city
Still haven’t got tickets to Elton John? Click here to secure yours now.
Dunedin really knows how to put on a concert and Elton John will be no exception. Visit the Octagon for a variety of free, family friendly events that showcase Dunedin’s talented and creative community. Make sure you keep your eye out for lots of “pop up” entertainment around town!
Tuesday 4 February
2-15pm – 3pm: Experience Fabulous Fashion as Dunedin op shops take to the Octagon to showcase their interpretation on fashion “Elton” style.Cancelled due to weather 3-4pm: Be entertained by Boaz Anema, a Dunedin Singer/Songwriter With deep, personal, original music. One part blues, one part folk, with a high falsetto and strong singing voice, Boaz's performances are powerful and captivating. 10.00pm – midnight Circulation Community, fire and performance from this talented group.
*Due to forecasted heavy rain events planned for the Octagon today will be cancelled. Free concert shuttles to the Stadium will depart from 5pm from outside the Dunedin Public Library. Please travel safely and enjoy your night.
Stadium gates will open at 5pm. Check your ticket ahead of time to make sure you go to the correct gate. If you have mobility issues, please go to the gate on your ticket and let security know. They will be able to direct you to the closest mobility access gate. Hold on tight to your ticket and treat everyone with respect.
Plan ahead so you know what you’re allowed to bring:
You can bring:
- Clear sealed bottles of water up to one litre. Please note that all lids will be removed from water bottles at the entrance Gates.
- Special food for dietary requirements.
- Homemade food like sandwiches
- Baby foods and liquids
- Umbrellas are permitted - they will be labelled with name and number and stored at the gate they enter for collection after the concert.
- No glass allowed - this includes glass perfume bottles.
- No BYO takeaway meals or alcohol.
- No long lens cameras
There will be searches and bag searches on arrival at the venue. Intoxication assessments will be carried out on arrival and inside the Stadium. Have a good night but take it easy – you don’t want to miss the entertainment!
For more Stadium information phone 0800 246464 or go to www.forsythbarrstadium.co.nz.
View and download the city map for all Elton John concert information including road closures and walking routes
Where possible use public transport.
*Due to the weather conditions, please be advised that there may be slightly longer travel times.There is likely to be surface flooding in gutters on parts of Anzac Avenue and people walking to Forsyth Barr Stadium tonight for the Elton John concert should take care.
Loop Concert Stadium Shuttle Stadium buses – FREE
- A free shuttle will run every five minutes between 5:00-6:30pm. Board the shuttles outside the Dunedin Public Library (Moray Place) to Harbour Terrace near Forsyth Barr Stadium ‑ free shuttles will leave from Harbour Terrace straight after the event, heading back to the Dunedin Public Library (Moray Place)
- Please note there will be a limited number of buses from the stadium back to the central city post-concert. The Octagon is a 15 - 20-minutes’ walk from the stadium and we encourage you to walk back to town.
- Further information including maps will be available shortly.
To help people get home later in the evening, the DCC is running several buses from the central city between 12.00am and 1.30am. The buses will run along three routes:
- one to South Dunedin (see route map)
- one to North Dunedin via Highgate (see route map)
- one to Mosgiel (see route map)
Buses will leave from the Bus Hub - see a map of departure points.
Fare is a gold coin donation with proceeds going to Women’s Refuge.
For general city bus routes and timetables during concert days please see the ORC website.
To assist people getting home after the Elton John concert the ORC will be running an additional scheduled service to Portobello and Port Chalmers. The bus to Portobello will depart from the Central City bus Hub at 11pm (stand G) and to Port Chalmers at 11pm (stand B). These are the usual stands that the buses leave from for the two suburbs.
Please note that services will be very busy. If you’re travelling to the stadium, plan your trip and arrive early.
- Please be aware that the roads will be busy.
- We recommend that people arrive early so they do not miss the start of the concert. You may like to share a ride with friends to help reduce traffic congestion.
- Roads around the stadium will be closed from 3pm
- It is an easy 15–20-minute walk from the Octagon to the stadium. Always take care, particularly when crossing roads and used marked crossings whenever possible.
Service Provided by Port to Port Cruises and Wildlife Tours
- Cruise across the beautiful Otago Harbour from Steamer Basin (central Dunedin) to the Otago Yacht Club, just a short five minute walk from the Forsyth Barr Stadium. Free parking is available at the departure point in Steamer Basin, next to the Harbourside Grill.
- The ticket price - $24 for adults and $12 for children - is for a return ferry trip and does not include admission to the event.
- Refreshments and drinks are available for purchase and the boat has a heated cabin and toilets on board.
- DEPARTURE TIMES: We tailor the departure times to fit with the particular event. Please wait to be contacted to confirm what they are.
- After your booking has been made we will be in touch with you to confirm your pick up time to go to the concert.
- For transport from Port Chalmers or Portobello, please get in touch by phone or email.
- Re-boarding to return to Steamer Basin at time advised by skipper, and in reference to the finish times of the event.
- Minimum numbers and cancellation policy applies.
- If you are driving, park further afield and walk. Please note that parking restrictions will be in place in the immediate vicinity of the stadium.
- Wharf area and south of the Railway Station – there are lots of on-street parks around these areas. From here, you can walk straight to the stadium via the Wickliffe Street walkway.
- If you’re parking in off-street parking areas, please be aware of any time or customer only restrictions and please don’t park in leased parking spots.
There are seven mobility spaces available in:
- the East End car park, accessible via State Highway 88 for valid mobility parking permit holders.
- additional mobility spaces are available on Logan Park Drive, accessible via State Highway 88
- you can also drop-off at the Stadium near Gate D. If needed, buggy transport is available to get you to your gate - just ask the closest security guard.
- for parking, please use the mobility parks that will be available on Logan Park Drive. You will need a mobility pass to get through the road closure.
Campervan Parking: Certified Self-Contained Parking for Motorhomes and Caravans
The Otago New Zealand Motor Caravan Association (NZMCA) area will be managing a parking area next to the Dunedin Ice Stadium (101 Victoria Rd, St Kilda) for Self-Contained Motorhomes and Caravans interested in staying in the city for the Masters Games and two concerts at the beginning of February. The site will be open and available for parking from the 1st - 11th of February 2020.
- You DO NOT need to book - first come, first served.
- New Zealand Motor Caravan Association (NZMCA) members and non-NZMCA members will be able to use the carpark. The carpark will be supervised by NZMCA members to ensure only self-contained vehicles park in the carpark
- There is NO COST to stay
- The site will be open 24 hours a day
- Otago NZMCA are currently looking at options to organise a bus from the site to take people to the Elton John Concert on Tuesday 4 February and Queen Concert on Monday 10 February 2020. Details yet to be confirmed by Otago NZMCA
- No pets at the parking site please - not suitable
- Site is not suitable for larger caravans due to the steepness of the entrance
- Only motorcaravans that are certified self-contained can park at this site
For any further information or enquiries please contact Otago NZMCA representatives directly (Neil 0274 507674, or Gavin on 021 222 7918)
For more information on where you can camp in Dunedin please check out the following link:
NZTA Journey Planner
Plan your trip with travel time information, traffic cameras, and updates on delays, roadworks and road closures www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz