Larnach Castle is a must see for any visitor to Dunedin city. The castle is set high above the harbour where William Larnach commission the construction of New Zealand’s only castle in 1871. The Victorian castle is also well known for its 14 hectare garden and grounds which has been recognised as a Garden of International Significance. High Tea is a popular dining option at Larnach Castle which is served daily at 3pm. The Larnach Castle Ballroom Café and gift shop is also on site for visitors and the view from the castle over the city, harbour and peninsula is magnificent. The Castle is located in Company Bay, at 145 Camp Road.
The 35 room home displays a fine Edwardian design and was designed for a merchant and his family in the early 1900s. The home provides an accurate display of the early New Zealand lifestyle and was constructed in a Jacobean style with definitive detail. The house and its acre of beautiful garden can be experienced at 42 Royal Tce, in walking distance from the city.
Speight’s have been brewing fine ales since James Speight, Charles Greenslade and William Dawson set up the Speight’s brewery in Dunedin in 1876. Speight’s gained international recognition by winning the fledgling brewery award at the Sydney International Exhibition and became New Zealand’s largest brewery in 1887. Speight’s provides tours of the brewery and is joined by the Speight’s Ale House, where visitors can enjoy the ‘Pride of the South’s’ brew and large, hearty meals. Speight’s Ale Houses have been erected all over New Zealand with Speight’s even running a campaign in 2007 called the ‘Great Beer Delivery’, involving a Speight’s built and transported, fully operational Speight’s Alehouse from Dunedin to London. The brewery tour and Alehouse can be found on Rattray St, off Princes St down from the Octagon.
Formerly occupied by the Dunedin Railway Station, Dunedin’s First Art Gallery, the old bus station and the Otago Settlers Museum, the Old NZR Road Services Building is currently being redeveloped into the ‘Toitu Otago Settlers Museum’, a state of the art museum showcasing the people whose character, culture, technology, art, fashion and transport shaped New Zealand’s First Great City. The building was built in 1908 and designed by John Burnside and has seen plenty of renovations and developments throughout its lifetime. The building is located at 31 Queens Gardens.
Completed in 1880 and designed by R. A. Lawson in 1878, the chambers have been altered throughout its standing including the 1919 removal of the buildings front steps and its bell tower in 1963. The chambers set the scene for incorporating New Zealand’s first City Council. The building also contains the Dunedin Town Hall which is currently undergoing redevelopment, expected to be completed in April 2013.
St Paul's Cathedral
Completed in 1919, the Cathedral was designed by Sedding and Wheatly and replaced the Parish Church of St Paul. Construction of the Cathedral began in 1915 with funds for the project running out before there crossing and chancel were built. The Cathedral can be located at the top of the Octagon.
First Church of Otago
Completed in 1875, construction of the church began in 1867 on the back of R. A. Lawson’s architectural design. The gothic style of the church face was constructed with Oamaru stone and in 1873, Lawson sighted the spire had a lean and was too short and had to be dismantled and rebuilt. Louis John Godfrey carved the inside and outside of the building, which can be located on Moray Place.
Described as ‘the outstanding monument of Edwardian architecture in New Zealand’, as well being regarded as the most photographed building in the country, the Dunedin Railway Station was constructed in 1906, during the New Zealand railing systems period of growth that occurred between the late 1890s to the early 1900s. Designed by George Alexander Troup, a notable feature of the station is the domed location at the SW corner of the building, as well as the stained glass windows depicting locomotives and tiled arches that engulf the ticket boxes. This beautiful structure, along with its blossoming and impressive garden, can be viewed and experienced at ANZAC Square.
Designed by John Campbell, the law courts are one of the finest examples of Gothic civic architecture in the country and was completed and opened in 1902. The courthouse was built upon the site of where the old gaol was located. The building was built in a simplified gothic style and is located at the beginning of Lower Stuart Street.
The Dunedin Prison was the second Dunedin gaol to be built and was completed in 1898. The structure was designed by John Campbell with a similar feel to London’s Scotland Yard. The prison was constructed with superb detail and the contrasting red and pale exterior colours are an example of Edwardian neo-Baroque. The Castle St property was sold earlier this year to the Dunedin Prison Charitable Trust with the intention of transforming it into a tourist attraction.
Bank of New Zealand
The Old Bank of New Zealand building was completed in 1882 and designed with a Venetian Renaissance style by architect W. B. Armson. The exterior features carving of New Zealand plants and landscapes whilst the interior was modernised in 1958 by Mandeno and Fraser. The building can be viewed in Princes St.
Old National Bank Building
Located on Princes St, the Old National Bank Building was designed by architect W. H. Dunning and was completed in 1913 and was a replacement building with a modern faced, Hobart Sandstone façade. The building features a domed glass ceiling and is set over a large public banking chamber. Octa Associates recently restored the building to its current state.
University of Otago Registry
The competition for the design of the University of Otago Registry was won by Maxwell Bury of Nelson and construction of the building was completed in 1879. An extension to the building and additional wing were added to the structure in 1883 for courses of the medical, chemistry and mining profession. The registry is most famous for the clock tower that stands out like a beacon over the University. Otago University is located slightly to the NE of the city centre and the clock tower building centred directly across from St David Street, on the Leith Walk.
Otago Boys High School
New Zealand’s secondary school, the institution was founded on the 3rd of August, 1863 and shifted to its present site in 1885. R. A. Lawson designed the Gothic style structure and provides an excellent viewing spot of the city. The school has an extensive list of prominent alumni including the likes of painter Colin McCahon, ex-mayor Peter Chin, current competing cyclist Greg Henderson as well as the current All Black captain, Richie McCaw. The school can be found on Arthur St, up the hill from the Octagon.
The New Zealand Express Company was completed in 1910 and designed by a firm from Christchurch called A. & S. Luttrell. The building was constructed using new international methods of reinforcement at the time, and the two main facades were built in a Romanesque style. The building was built by Charles Fleming MacDonald on Bond St and has proven to be earthquake and fire resistant.
The University of Otago is full of architechtural contrasts. The Registry Building and Archway complex are slowly being integrated with modern design. A fine example of this is the Information Services Building. A dramatic improvement of the former library and based on the same site the ISB was built in 2002 with an eye on the future.
The transparency of ISB’s exterior
is carried into the open-plan interior. The atrium at the
heart of the center is given a strong shape by a curved Oamaru
stone wall which spans the entire length of the building.