Historic Fort Taiaroa
P O Box 492, Dunedin|Summer 24 Nov-31 Mar: Tours from 12.30pm till 6.30pm, Winter: 01 Apr - 23 Nov: Tours from 12pm till 2pm
$20 - $20
Fort Taiaroa, established over 100 years ago to counter the threat of invasion from Tsarist Russia, overlooks part of the albatross colony and the Fort is now a museum. Today, visitors to Taiaroa Head are very fortunate to be able to view the only Armstrong Disappearing Gun of its type in the world, still in working trim, in its original gun pit.
Inspect at first hand the great 1886 six inch caliber hydraulic disappearing gun, sitting in its gun pit in full working order Stroll through the underground tunnels and view the deep-down magazines. Check out the detailed models which show how the gun worked. Inspect the view from the fully equipped Battery Observation Post with its original (1886) depression range finder.