30 August 2016
DVML is pleased to report the positive results of the Economic Impact Study for the All Blacks v Wales test match held in the city on 25 June 2016. CEO Terry Davies acknowledged the fantastic result for Dunedin. “Once again the importance of major events being held in Dunedin and the rewards they bring are evident here in this excellent result. We know that the benefits are widespread during a major event weekend and Dunedin shines no matter what the weather.”
All Blacks versus Wales test match held at Forsyth Barr Stadium on 25 June 2016 attracted approximately 16,516 visitors to Dunedin. The online survey was completed by 2,340 ticket holders, with 40% of those originating from Dunedin and the remaining 60% from regional, national and international locations. Survey respondents were 58% male and 42% female. The majority of respondents were 30+ years old.
Visitors’ statistic: 30% from the wider Otago region, 26% from Canterbury, 24% from Southland and 12% from the North Island. The remainder were from other South Island cities and international visitors.
- 96% of respondents expressing some degree of satisfaction
- 95% most satisfied with information prior to the event
High levels of satisfaction with
- Cleanliness of the venue 91%
- Access to the venue 90%
- Access out of the venue 87%
- 94% stated that they would be likely to return to Forsyth Barr Stadium to attend a major event
- The test match was the primary reason for attracting approximately 13,255 people to the city
- Average expenditure of all those visitors who responded to the survey was $500
- Sectors that benefited the most from this visitor expenditure were retail, hospitality and accommodation
- Additional expenditure is $8.3 million (the direct expenditure from all visitors while in Dunedin is estimated at $10.1 million however visitors would have spent $1.8 million regardless of whether the test match was held)
- $6.8 million of regional value added (GDP)
- $3.4 million of earned household income
28,726 seats were available for the test match. Survey results suggest that 60% of tickets were sold to people living outside of the Dunedin City boundaries. The remaining 40% of tickets were purchased by Dunedin residents.
On average, respondents spent 2.09 days in Dunedin to attend the test match.
For more information please contact:
027 545 2545